Saturday, September 19, 2015

Knafeh and Mansaf

So this is my class from 9-11 every day. We call it the issues class because we discuss all sorts of issues. This week we talked about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. 
My classmates are Sage, Morgan, Amy, Dan, Aaron, Andy, and Victor.




See? This is about the conflict.


Everyone also likes to eat during class but we got in trouble for it so yeah. This picture was taken before that.

Sunday afternoon, after class, we went to this language exchange activity hosted by the US embassy where we spoke English with Arabs that want to ameliorate their English and they spoke Arabic to us. Afterwards, we went to Habiba's for Knafeh which is this Arabic cheese dessert. Really yummy.



Tuesday (which is more like Wednesday), we went to Marj al Hamam again to go help out with the refugees. It took us forever to get there because of the traffic and all the bus stops and walking.
 This was taken from the bus looking back on the traffic.

We got there and it was super disorganized. Because we're supposed to teach English but when we came, they told us everyone was asleep. So we just played with a couple of the kids that were not asleep. The little girl in the red shirt is Santa (as in Santa Maria not Clause-- they're super christian with their names.) and the girl on the left is Navine (not sure how to spell that but it's نفين in arabic) Santa stole my phone and took a billion pictures and I deleted most of them but I kept a couple like this one.

Erik and Luke chilling before their speaking appointments

and Blake...


 This was Thursday night (so like Friday) and we went to Wust El-Balad again which is probably my favorite part of Amman.

 We wanted to go to the citadel to watch the sunset but they didn't let us in because it closed at 5:30. So the group decided to go take picture on this sketchy rooftop that looked like it was going to collapse.





 This is our group! Very cute :) 

Look at the moon! 
  
 Then we went to Mata'am al Quds and had Mansaf! This is like the most traditional Jordanian dish: Rice with spices and a yogurt sauce and lamb with almonds served this thin bread. It was soooo good. And the lamb was super tender and perfectly marbled.



There was also the choice of chicken but I feel like that's a waste of money because it's the same price and it's very comparable to a Costco rotisserie chicken. So if you're ever in Jordan and the opportunity presents itself, get lamb! But the chicken was pretty good too :)

 I bought my first Koufiyeh at this shop. 

  Then we went to Miles and Mikaela's apartment and watched a movie:)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in honor of our Petra trip tomorrow! 

This is me and my koufiyeh:) 

And I also bought this hijab :)

After church today, my roommates and I went to the Souq Jara (a little outside market with lots if little hand-crafted goods) at rainbow street.

This lady was selling little soaps that she made.

Here's Noelle paying. That's what a JD looks like



This was a little sheep cupcake in celebration of the Eid which is a Muslim holiday where they slay a sheep for a sacrifice.

That's us! The whole apartment :)

This guy was drawing people and it looked so good! I kind of wanted one for me but no time.

I love this:)

Then we came home and just chilled for a while. Apartment fat-dogging sesh... That's all! Except for not really. After this we went to this woman's house for mansaf which was sooooooooooooooo good like didn't even compare to the restaurant. I will talk about that more on my next post next week. Sorry it's going to have to wait. I wrote most of this last night when I still had wifi but then it stopped working so I never got to publish it. So I'm finishing it now. Right now I'm on the bus on the way to Petra! I'm doing this with my data. Ah technology. Wow. I would feel bad for not soaking in all the scenery but it looks like we're driving from Utah to Nevada sooooo..... Yeah haha! 

1 comment:

  1. Looks so fun! Those apartment buildings (with the "sketchy roof") kind of look like favelas in Brazil but minus the colors lol. Also, your hijab is so pretty! I love the red.

    ReplyDelete